Moderated by Tia Williams of ShakeYourBeauty.com and co-owner of The Fly Cut, the masterminds behind Miss Jessie's shared very candid and incredibly personal accounts of how they reached mass-produced success.
Being an aspiring entrepreneur, it was refreshing and enlightening to hear first-hand how these BG game changers paved the way for countless other curly hair care product lines.
Titi and Miko Branch of Miss Jessie's
Here are a few facts that I learned about the curly 'do dynamos:
- The sisters lived together in the brownstone that housed their first salon in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn.
- They didn't take out any loans to finance their hair care product line. Instead, they used their salon to finance the launch of their products.
- From 2006-2008, the sisters were in a bitter dispute that resulted in litigation. In fact, Miko was legally restricted from working within 200 miles of New York.
- They fought against being placed in the the "ethnic" beauty section of Target, which negatively affected their sales. After a lot of convincing, the products were ultimately placed in their desired professional styling section of the store.
- The sisters are currently shopping a book that will give their fans and aspiring entrepreneurs an in-depth look into what it took to create their curly hair care empire.
Have you ever used Miss Jessie's products? Which entrepreneur do you admire most?