Thursday, September 27, 2007

Healthy Snacking

You know that time at work between breakfast and lunch when you just want something to munch on? Instead of walking to the nearest vending machine in your office for one of the dreaded C’s – cookies, cakes, chips or candy, grab a handful of raw almonds. Eating nuts, especially almonds will stave off hunger in between meals. On a weekly basis, I buy a container of raw almonds to eat at my desk for $2 from the nut and fruit stand near my job. These stands are on almost every corner in midtown Manhattan. Even though I have no idea where these street vendors get their produce or nuts, I like the price and the taste so I have no complaints!

If you don’t have a nut and fruit stand vendor near your work, pick some up from your local Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. Be sure to get the natural or roasted kind because they are packed with more nutrients than the salted ones. In fact, the sweet and tasty treat is the most nutrient-dense tree-nut. According to the USDA, one ounce of almonds (about 23) contains 160 calories and only 1 gram of saturated fat. The same handful is also an excellent source of vitamin E and magnesium, a good source of protein and potassium and has no cholesterol.

So the next time you want to binge on junk, consider almonds because they taste great and are healthy.





Blue Diamond is one of the most popular brands for almonds. I get them from Duane Reade drugstores, but I'm sure they're across the country in stores like Walgreen's, CVS and supermarkets in your city. They cost about $3 for a can.



I found this cute almond gift bag online. It would make a great gift for someone who enjoys snacking or better yet, for yourself!

Available for: $7.95

www.theoriginalnutfactory.com

No comments: