Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Is Bitch the New Black?

After reading Helena Andrews's profile in the Washington Post a few months ago, I've been anxiously anticipating her memoir, "Bitch is the New Black," which hit bookstores yesterday.

Comprised of candid, yet heartfelt essays that document the life of a young, single, highly-educated BG with a successful career who's on the quest for love, "Bitch is the New Black," is sassy as it is insightful. Told in a singular, witty voice, Andrews shares her life experiences up until her late 20s in a relatable girlfriend style. With film rights already sold, this book will resonate with many BGs who realize that finding "Mr. Right" and embracing adulthood isn't as easy at it may seem.


Available at www.borders.com for $24.99

Would you read this book? What are your thoughts? One lucky reader will win a copy. Just leave a comment and a winner will be randomly selected and announced later this week.

**UPDATE** The winner of the book is K-Bear! Congrats! Please send me your mailing address info.

7 comments:

Product Junkie Diva said...

Hey BGG
I don't embrace the word at all since it does not represent my character in any way. However, I have heard a great deal about Ms. Andrews and I watched her in an interview so I will likely check out her book too. It seems like she has had an interesting life and I am eager to see how she has documented a portion of her journey.
Thanks for the review.
PJD

antithesis said...

if i won this, id add it to my summer reading. im not a fan of the title but your description of the content lets me know i could certainly relate.

Lisalis said...

I do not think of that word as a compliment or an attribute I would like to use in reference to me.

K-Bear said...

I LOVE the title. She knows that society labels strong, ascertive, successful women that way. It in no way implies she agrees with them. It is what it is. In other words, call me what you like, I'm doing the darned thing!

Anonymous said...

I don't interpret the word lightly at all. Helena Andrews' profile intrigued me, but it also made me side eye. I'm still considering purchasing it. If no other reason than to cover it in my book club.

T said...

Hey BGG,

I hope Ms. Andrews succeeds in all her endeavors, but I won't be buying, nor reading this book. I'm not a fan of calling women, of any race, bitches to sell a product. (Check out the book store, it's al the rage right now). I'm also not a fan of women who identify with the word and I definitely do not refer to myself in that way. On principle, I just can't read it.

If she writes another book without an inflammatory title, I'll check it out.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

The winner is K-Bear! Congrats. Pls send me your mailing address info!