Monday, January 30, 2012

Natural Hair Files: Go-To Transitioning Styles

With so many of us women of color embracing our natural hair textures, it's no surprise that many of us grappling with finding styles that work well with our newfound curls, kinks, and coils. While I didn't go for the BC (big chop), I found styles that would camouflage my chemically-straightened strands with my newly grown thicker texture.

Throughout my journey, roller sets and two-strand twists were my go-to styles while I learned how to care for my natural hair. Those styles made my mane manageable while still looking chic and polished. In addition to those common transitioning styles, I also opted for top-knots and buns (with a scarf or simple headband), which I still wear if I'm too lazy to style it after a wash.

Me embracing the top-knot bun. 

What styles did you or do you currently wear as you transitioned to natural hair?

6 comments:

Cristine♥ said...

I survived because of buns, flexi rod sets, and later twist & curls {setting my relaxed ends on rods} before I finally cut my ends off. Those 3 styles saved my transition to natural hair!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving your bun!

Maven said...

Initially I blow dried and did rod curls. When summer came, I diffused it and went semi curly with Biolage gel until I was able to cut off the remaining relaxed hair.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

@Cristine - I used to use flexirods. Not sure what happened to them.

@Sunny - Thanks so much!

@Maven - Good tips! I always wanted to diffuse, but never had that part on my hair dryer.

Anonymous said...

nice pic

Steel Heels said...

I love your bun! I've been flat ironing my kinks but I'm sick of it and it defeats the purpose right? Well, I'm still determined to forge ahead. Wish me luck!