Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Summer Reading Picks

Nothing says summer like hitting the beach and curling up with a good read. I've always been a fan of self-help books and biographies and the following books don't disappoint. Whether you download them on your e-Reader, iPad or simply find joy in turning actual paper pages, there are countless books to keep you occupied this summer!

Check out my picks:


"A Belle in Brooklyn," by Demetria Lucas


Oprah's Farewell Celebration: Inside 25 Extraordinary Years of the "The Oprah Winfrey Show" bookazine.


"Black Woman Redefined," by Sophia Nelson


"Starting Over," by LaToya Jackson

What's on your reading list for the summer? One lucky reader will win a copy of "A Belle in Brooklyn," by Demetria Lucas. Simply leave a comment telling me your favorite book genre (non-fiction, fiction, short stories, cookbooks, etc.) and a winner will be randomly selected and announced next week. **UPDATE** This contest has been extended until July 8th, so please submit your comments!

13 comments:

Becky said...

I love "The Coldest Winter Ever" by Zora Neale Hurston.

LifenotesEncouragement said...

the coldest winter ever is by Sister Souljah...
my favorite genre is autobiographies and memoirs!!!

here's hoping!

Stacie said...

The Secrets of Newberry by Victor McGlothin. It is my book club selection. So far so good.

Kwana said...

The Sophia Nelson book looks great.

Sherita said...

I just finished reading "Water for Elephants". Since I'm planning for the arrival of a baby, I don't think that I'll have too much time to read.

K. Rock said...

I am one of those people who can pick up a cookbook and read it cover to cover.

Lexis Coupe said...

Looooovvveeee self help... i might be a tad obsessed with that genre lol

T said...

I'm reading the Help right now. A Belle in Brooklyn is on my list too (but 1st... I need to purchase it). You're my pop culture guru, so I guess I'll check out the others on your list too.

Carla said...

I've been hearing a lot about Belle's book. I think I'll be checking that out. She's supposed to be in New Orleans for the Essence Festival.

Jiggetts said...

I'd love the read "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot this summer. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it!

Janay* said...

I love all types of books. I believe also my fav book are the Omar Tyree Series Flyy Girl, Boss Lady, One of the greatest author is Eric Jerome Dickey.

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

The winner is Carla!! Congratulations!!

marketing online said...

This can't actually work, I suppose like this.