Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Little Sheba Comes Back!


Photo Courtesy of The New York Times

Recently, I saw another Broadway play, this time it was "Come Back Little Sheba," starring S. Epatha Merkerson. Known for her role on NBC's Law and Order, Merkerson plays a faded beauty queen named Lola in this dramatic revival first made popular back in 1950.

Set in a fictional Midwestern town over half a century ago, the show revolves around the character, Lola, who is a frumpy, middle-aged, yet childlike wife of a recovering alcoholic. The play explores the depths of her insecurity, regret and loneliness. Lola is a needy and sometimes annoying woman who desperately yearns to feel loved and wanted by her husband.

Merkerson's strength as a theater actor is truly exemplified in this role. Her expressions and spellbinding intensity successfully conveys to the audience her sorrow and dismay as if it were their own. Her co-star and veteran Broadway actor, Kevin Anderson's portrayal of Lola's alcoholic husband is also quite riveting. He sets the tone for this emotional rollercoaster with his subtle, yet perfectly executed gestures and speech that are akin to real alcoholics and substance abusers. The supporting cast also gives commendable performances and provides humorous spurts throughout the otherwise very serious show.

Even though this domestic drama boasts outstanding performances by seasoned actors, the overall plot couldn't hold my attention throughout the 2-hour show. If "Little Sheba" comes back to Broadway years from now, I'm not so sure I'd come back to see it.

"Come Back Little Sheba" is currently showing at the Biltmore Theater, 261 W. 47th Street in New York City. For ticket information call Telecharge at (212) 239-6200.

9 comments:

K-Bear said...

Thanks for the review! I love a good play but hate a bad one. hahah What I'd love to see is Ms. S. Epatha on stage in the broadway version of Lackawanna Blues!

Brown Girl Gumbo said...

K-Bear- The play wasn't exactly bad, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Now a stage version of Lackawanna Blues would be nice!

yummy411 said...

thanks for the review!

Don said...

I've heard of this play, but never had the privilege of seeing it.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

I love plays. i hope it comes to the ATL and whn my book of plays comes off press i will send u a copy ok.

Anonymous said...

Blessings!Thanks for the great review.I haven't seen a great play in a while, if it comes to Tampa I will check it out.

Anonymous said...

I felt like I was in the third row of the audience just by reading the review. Thank you for using such descriptive words!

Anonymous said...

im glad we are becoming broadway pals

Anonymous said...

I think I will start going to plays again. I truly enjoy a good play but it can't be one of those "Lawd Why Can't I find a Good Man", plays. I hate those..lol