Tuesday, January 22, 2008
I don't know about you, but I love to sleep. In fact, I'd rather take a nap than go shopping! Ok, maybe I don't love it that much, but it's definitely one of my favorite pasttimes.
On the weekends especially during the winter months, I sleep for at least 11 hours on Friday and Saturday. Even though I sometimes feel guilty for sleeping in, I always awake feeling rejuvenated and refreshed. Studies have shown that we need 7-9 hours of sleep in order to function properly so I guess I'm getting my fair share.
Getting sleep can help improve our brains, heart rate, increase our metabolism, boost our immune system and prevent aging amongst many other health benefits.
I remember reading that singing sensation Mariah Carey and actress/singer Jennifer Lopez both swear by getting at least 8 hours of sleep every night no matter what. Maybe that's why mom-to-be J. Lo always has that glow...either that or a good bronzer! If these super busy globe-trotting divas can find the time to get the recommended amount of sleep, I'm sure we can too!
If you have trouble sleeping, here are a few tips to getting some quality shut-eye:
1. Don't watch television or surf the Internet 20 minutes prior to your desired bedtime
2. Perform a sleep preparatin routine each night (i.e wash face, brush teeth, etc.)
3. Limit caffeine and alcohol intake
4. Keep your bedroom quiet and peaceful (NO TVs!!)
5. Don't eat a large or heavy meal before bedtime